Come you that are blessed by my father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."
The members of St. Matthew believe and practice in the ‘priesthood of all believers’ by living out our Christian calling in the church, in the community, and in the world. We serve our neighbor in a variety of ways.
We actively support the Hanover Area Council of Churches (HACC) and the many ministries they are involved in (clothing bank, Provide-A-Lunch program, medical ministry, homeless shelter, and more), through donations and volunteers. We also support New Hope Ministries.
Our Pastors and lay ministers take great care of our homebound and hospitalized, frequently visiting and administering the Eucharist, as needed.
In addition, we either are, or have recently and actively, provided regular support to the following ministries, both inside and outside the church, locally and globally, and also travel on mission annually.
- Hanover Area Council of Churches (HACC) and the many ministries they are involved in: clothing bank, Provide-A-Lunch (PAL) program, medical ministry, homeless shelter, and more...
- Ruth’s Harvest
- Habitat for Humanity
- God’s Meal Barrel
- Lutheran Camping
- TrueNorth Wellness Services
- New Hope Ministries
- SpiriTrust Lutheran (formerly Lutheran Social Services of South Central PA) (Red Cross, Utz Terrace, Gettysburg Lutheran Retirement Village, Family Programs and Services such as domestic abuse solutions and homebound and hospice care, and more...)
- Tender Care
- St. Matthew Human Needs: St. Matthew has a Human Needs fund that is used to provide for immediate needs of our neighbors and our own congregation. The Pastors and lay ministers at St. Matthew are a great support for our homebound and hospitalized, frequently visiting and administering the Eucharist as needed. We provide scholarships annually to members who need financial support for further education and training.
- Lutheran Services in America / World Relief / Disaster Relief (Worldwide)
- Lantern Hill (Mexico)
- Companions in Christ (Konde Diocese, Tanzania, Africa)
- On Eagle's Wings (North West Territory)
- Malaria Prevention Initiative (Africa)
- Bibles for India
- Rise Against Hunger (65 countries worldwide)
- Heifer International (30 countries on 5 continents)
- Crop Walk
- Women of the ELCA
- Tree 4 Hope
For more information about any of these ministries, contact St. Matthew at 717-637-7101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.